Washington University in St. Louis (WUSTL) is committed to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive work and learning environment for all students, faculty and staff. Research shows that tobacco use in general, including smoking and breathing secondhand smoke, constitutes a significant health hazard. WUSTL strictly prohibits all smoking and other uses of tobacco products within all University buildings and on University property, at all times.
This policy applies to all, including students, faculty, staff, patients, contractors and visitors.
For the purpose of this policy, “tobacco” is defined to include, but not limited to, any lit cigarette, cigar, pipe, bidi, clove cigarette, and any other smoking product; and smokeless or spit tobacco, also known as dip, chew, snuff or snus in any form.
- The use, distribution, or sale of tobacco, including any smoking device, or carrying of any lit smoking instrument, in University owned, leased or occupied facilities or on University leased, owned, or occupied property*, at events on University properties, or in University-owned, rented or leased vehicles, is prohibited. This includes:
- all campuses;
- parking facilities and lots (including in personal vehicles);
- WUSTL buildings located near city/municipality owned sidewalks, within 20 feet of entryways or exits, near air intakes, or near fire/explosion hazards;
- off-campus housing managed by Residential Life; and
- fraternity chapter houses managed by Greek Life.
- (Download a pdf map of the tobacco-free areas.)
- If individuals within the University community smoke or use tobacco products off University properties, they are expected to be respectful of residents, hospitals and businesses neighboring the University campuses and properties. They should not loiter in front of homes, businesses or hospitals near University campuses or properties, and must discard tobacco products in appropriate receptacles.
- The free distribution of tobacco products on University property is prohibited.
- No tobacco-related advertising or sponsorship shall be permitted on University property, at University-sponsored events or in publications produced by the University.
- Violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action.
* Facilities fully managed and maintained by Quadrangle Housing, such as the residential portion of the Lewis Center, are not subject to this policy.