Historical Campus Tour

Danforth Campus

Louis D. Beaumont House

Beaumont House

Beaumont House was originally dedicated as a women's dormitory in October 1965. This four-story building is now a men and women's dorm, as are the rest of the dormitories on the South 40.

Louis D. Beaumont
Louis D. Beaumont

Louis D. Beaumont was born on April 26, 1857 in Dayton, Ohio. He and his two brothers joined with David May, their brother-in-law, in the 1880s to form the May Shoe and Clothing Company, which became the predecessor to May Department Stores. Eventually Mr. Beaumont lived in Europe and supervised the company's foreign interests. He was a contributor to many charitable causes. He died on October 1, 1942.

Through the Louis D. Beaumont Foundation, the University built the Beaumont Pavilion, established a lecture series, funded a number of scholarships, and began the Beaumont-May Institute for Neurological Studies.