Dedicated in 1927, Charles Rebstock Hall was built to expand the Department of Biology. The new building had enough space to house the biology library and for technologically advanced experiments. The expansion of the department increased the next year's enrollment by about 70 students.
Born in Cincinnati in 1846, Charles Rebstock moved to St. Louis and grew a struggling wholesale liquor business into one of the country's giant leaders. After retirement, Rebstock gave to both Saint Louis University and Washington University, the Missouri Association for the Blind, and the United Fund of Greater St. Louis. His contributions to Washington University included a million-dollar fund for the construction of Rebstock Hall: $300,000 for the construction and $700,000 for general upkeep. He was also a member of the University's Board of Trustees.