Historical Campus Tour

Danforth Campus

Newton R. Wilson Hall

Newton R. Wilson Hall

Newton R. Wilson Hall, dedicated to the study of geology and geography, was given to the University by Wilson's wife, Sarah Glasgow Wilson. The cornerstone laying ceremony was held on May 19, 1924. The building included a mineralogy lab, petrology lab, and a testing lab. The architects were Jamieson & Spearl, and the general contractor was the Gamble Construction Company. An addition was made in 1976 to expand the usable space of the building. Because of the stone work, special stone masons were needed to replicate the existing walls. The building was extensively renovated in 2004 and 2005 to house the departments of Biology, Philosophy, and the Philosophy-Neuroscience-Psychology program.

Newton Richard Wilson
Newton Richard Wilson

Newton Richards Wilson was born in 1858 in St. Louis and attended the Stoddard School, Adelphi Academy, and the Polytechnic Institute in Brooklyn. He graduated from Washington University in 1879 as a Mining Engineer. He took the position of assayer for Ohio and Missouri Smelter, and was soon made superintendent. For eight years he directed work for a number of mining interests in Colorado and Mexico, and in 1888 became superintendent of Philadelphia Smelter Company in Mexico. In 1907, Wilson followed his interests in lumber and became manager of Industrial Lumber Corporation, and then president, the position he held until his death in 1914.

Sarah Glasgow Wilson
Sara L. G. Wilson

Sarah Louisa Glasgow Wilson was born in April 1858 in St. Louis. She was the granddaughter of the first St. Louis Mayor, William Carr, and the daughter of William Glasgow, Jr., one of the 17 charter members, and first secretary, of the original Corporation of Washington University. She attended Mary Institute, operated by the University at the time, and married Mr. Wilson in 1897. She followed her husband around the world, to whichever country his work happened to take him. When he died, she moved back to St. Louis, where she remained until her death.

The following are housed inside Wilson Hall: