Historical Campus Tour

Danforth Campus

Preston M. Green Hall

Green Hall

Preston M. Green Hall is much greater than one building: it is a multidisciplinary hub that brings together numerous researchers, educators, and students — all focused on creating revolutionary new knowledge and preparing leaders for a global, technology-driven world.

Green Hall is the third building in a complex of engineering buildings at the northeast perimeter of the Danforth Campus. This latest investment by Washington University and the School of Engineering & Applied Science represents a commitment to the region, nation, and world.

Preston Green

Born in 1915 in St. Louis, Preston M. Green received his Bachelor of Science degree in electrical engineering from Washington University in 1936. After graduation, Mr. Green worked in a local factory until he joined Southwest Steel Supply Co. in 1950 as vice president of purchasing and production. He became president in 1955 and chairman of the board in 1957.

In 2006, Washington University Chancellor Mark S. Wrighton announced an $8 million commitment from the late Preston Green to support the School of Engineering & Applied Science and the Preston M. Green Department of Electrical & Systems Engineering.

Mrs. Preston Green, his widow, lives in St. Louis and serves on the advisory board for the Preston M. Green Charitable Foundation, which continues to support several charities within the St. Louis community. In 2010, the Preston M. Green Charitable Foundation committed an additional $5 million to support construction of Preston M. Green Hall.

For more facts and information about Green Hall please visit the School of Engineering’s Green Hall page.

Leading Together: the Campaign for Washington University