This guideline covers the handling of confidential and/or protected information from remote computers. It applies to remote workstations that can be used to access confidential and/or protected information.
- Remote devices need to have up-to-date patches, antivirus software, antispyware and the firewall turned on.
- Remote connection should be provided through encrypted virtual private network (VPN) software.
- Remote access mechanism such as GoToMyPC or LogMeIn must be reviewed and approved by the school or department prior to use.
Accessing Confidential and/or Protected Information
When accessing confidential or protected information remotely, it is the user’s responsibility to ensure the security of the data that is viewed or printed.
- Keep information secure from other people, and be mindful of nonauthorized people eavesdropping.
- Do not copy protected information to the remote machine.
- If the user remotely prints confidential or protected information, he or she should place the printed information in a secure area (e.g., by locking it in a drawer or file cabinet).
- When the user is through with printed material, it needs to be shredded.
- Lock the computer if it is necessary to leave it unattended.
- Log off the computer when finished with remote session.
- Use laptop cables to secure the device.
Updated April 1, 2013.