Named in honor of William K.Y. Tao, the Tao Tennis Center consists of eight courts, each one named after a famous tennis arena. During the 1985 renovation of the Athletic Complex, all the courts were re-surfaced and lighting was installed on four of them.
Tao is a 1950 graduate of the University, and currently holds the title of affiliated professor in the Schools of Engineering and Architecture. Born in Peking, China, he received his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Washington University, and has taught at Washington University since 1955. He is also the founder and head of William Tao and Associates, Consulting Engineers, and the national chairman of the Energy Advisory Committee or the Illuminating Engineering Society.