Washington University in St. Louis’ mission is to discover and disseminate knowledge, and protect the freedom of inquiry through research, teaching and learning.
Washington University creates an environment to encourage and support an ethos of wide-ranging exploration. Washington University’s faculty and staff strive to enhance the lives and livelihoods of students, the people of the greater St. Louis community, the country and the world.
Our goals are:
- to welcome students, faculty and staff from all backgrounds to create an inclusive community that is welcoming, nurturing and intellectually rigorous
- to foster excellence in our teaching, research, scholarship and service
- to prepare students with attitudes, skills and habits of lifelong learning and leadership, thereby enabling them to be productive members of a global society
- to be an institution that excels by its accomplishments in our home community, St. Louis, as well as in the nation and the world
To this end we intend:
- to judge ourselves by the most exacting standards
- to attract people of great ability from diverse backgrounds
- to encourage faculty and students to be bold, independent, and creative thinkers
- to provide an exemplary, respectful and responsive environment for living, teaching, learning and working for present and future generations
- to focus on meaningful measurable results for all of our endeavors
Mission statement approved by the Faculty Senate Council April 10, 2012 and approved by the Board of Trustees May 4, 2012