Compton Laboratory of Physics was completed in 1965 and was dedicated in 1966.
The 65,000-square-foot, five-level structure contains labs, offices and library space. The building was erected as a memorial to Arthur Holly Compton in recognition of his achievements as a physicist and chancellor.
Arthur Holly Compton
Compton’s association with the Washington University in St. Louis began when he became Wayman Crow Professor of Physics and chairman of the Department of Physics in 1920.
During his four years as a faculty member, Compton did the experimental work that resulted in his being awarded the Nobel Prize; he was the first faculty member to be so honored. In 1923 he left Washington University for the University of Chicago, returning in 1945 to serve as chancellor until 1953. During his chancellorship, Compton brought many outstanding faculty to the university, particularly in the sciences, and in so doing began the university’s rise to national stature.