Named in honor of William K.Y. Tao, the Tao Tennis Center consists of eight courts, each one named after a famous tennis arena.
During the 1985 renovation of the Athletics Complex, all the courts were resurfaced and lighting was installed on four of them.
William K.Y. Tao
Tao is a 1950 graduate of the Washington University in St. Louis. He began teaching at Washington University in 1955 and continued to hold the title of affiliated professor in the School of Engineering & Applied Science and Sam Fox School of Design & Visual Arts in Architecture. Born in Peking, China, Tao earned his undergraduate and graduate degrees from Washington University.
Tao is also the founder and head of William Tao and Associates, Consulting Engineers, and the national chairman of the Energy Advisory Committee of the Illuminating Engineering Society.