On May 1, 1998, the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis officially dedicated Alvin Goldfarb Hall, a multipurpose structure located south of Brown Hall, which doubled the space available to the Brown School. Together with Brown Hall, Goldfarb Hall allowed the school to house all its programs, faculty and staff in these twin facilities.
The building is named in honor of a generous gift to the university by Alvin Goldfarb.
Mr. Goldfarb was president of Worth Stores Corporation (a St. Louis-based retailer of women’s apparel) and of the Alvin Goldfarb Foundation. He was also the director and campaign chairman of the Jewish Federation of St. Louis. He attended Washington University’s John M. Olin School of Business.
Mr. Goldfarb’s wife, Jeanette, graduated from the School of Social Work with a master’s degree in 1936. The Goldfarbs supported the university in a number of ways, including scholarships in the Olin Business School and facilities such as the Jeanette Goldfarb Plant Growth Facility and Alvin Goldfarb Auditorium, located in McDonnell Hall. Also, Mr. Goldfarb was the founding sponsor of the John M. Olin School of Business’ Scholars in Business program.