Bauer Hall is a 73,000 square foot building built along with Knight Hall on the former site of Eliot Hall and adjacent to the Charles F. Knight Executive Education Center and McMillan Hall.
The design of the business school complex was a collaboration among two architectural firms, Moore Ruble Yudell, architect-of-record, and Mackey Mitchell Architects, associate architect, and two mechanical engineering firms, Buro Happold and William Tao & Associates.
Bauer Hall was dedicated on May 2, 2014.
George and Carol Bauer
Although now residing in Wilton, Connecticut, George Bauer is originally from rural Missouri. After earning bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Washington University’s McKelvey School of Engineering in 1953 and 1959, respectively, he embarked on a 31-year career with IBM that took him far from the family farm.
Bauer serves Washington University as a member of the Board of Trustees and the New York Regional Cabinet, and he and his wife, Carol, are involved in a number of philanthropic activities.
Together, the Bauers support institutions that serve a vital function in their communities. At Washington University, this has included serving on Olin Business School’s National Council, establishing a scholarship for students experiencing unforeseen financial difficulties, and, through the Bauer Foundation, establishing the George and Carol Bauer Professorship in Organizational Ethics and Governance.
In recent years, the Bauers have received many honors from Washington University. In 2009, the School of Engineering & Applied Science awarded George Bauer a Distinguished Engineering Alumni Award. At the university’s Founders Day celebration in 2011, the Bauers received the Robert S. Brookings Award in recognition of their extraordinary generosity and commitment. And in 2012, Olin Business School honored George and Carol Bauer with the Dean’s Medal award.