Beginning in 1958, with assistance from the federal government, Washington University in St. Louis began the four-phase development of the South 40. Umrath House underwent renovation and re-opened in its current form in August 2009.
Umrath houses 99 first-year students and three RAs. The buildings that make up the residential college of Umrath and Zetcher were women’s dormitories built during the first phase of construction in 1958 (along with the Liggett and Koenig halls, which were for men and have subsequently been replaced).
Originally called “C” and “D,” in 1960 the buildings were dedicated and named after Helen F. Umrath and her sister, Maurie Rubelmann. In 2009, the buildings were combined to become Umrath House.