Lopata Plaza is located near McKelvey School of Engineering buildings, between Jolley Hall and Cupples II Hall.
Stanley and Lucy Lopata
Stanley Lopata was a 1935 Washington University in St. Louis College of Arts & Sciences graduate. Founders of Carboline Corporation, Mr. and Mrs. Lopata grew the basement chemical laboratory into a $46 million business. Together, they were longtime friends of the university, and especially the McKelvey School of Engineering. Other memorials to them on campus are Lopata Hall, Lopata House, the Lopata Classic, a men’s basketball tournament held every fall, and Lopata Courtyard.